EX LIBRIS 2004
A Literary Masala
Special Guests/Authors: Jane Clifton, Barry Dickins, Rita Erlich, Scot Gardner, Roger Haldane, Adib Khan, Amanda Lohrey, Shane Maloney, Maureen McCarthy
- Opening with Jane Clifton, Meet the Authors.
- Exhibition of illustrations by Julie Vivas, illustrator of Possum Magic.
- 'Creative bookmarks' competition and exhibition (primary schools).
- Book sales.
- Buffet lunch with Rita Erlich, doyen food writer and commentator.
- Lagoon and other stories, etchings by Carmel Wallace, text by Anna Lanyon.
- Writers Workshop with Don Swanson, The Flavour of Words.
- Fact and Fiction in Politics. State MP for Yan Yean, Danielle Green interviewed Shane Maloney about Victorian politics seen through the eyes of his fictional character Murray Whelan.
- The biggest book group in Port Fairy. Amanda Lohrey lead the discussion of her latest novel, The Philosopher's Doll'.
- Wars Never End. Adib Khan examined the continuing impact of the Viet Nam War on Australians through Martin, the central character of his novel 'Homecoming'.
- Barbara Cartland Hurl.
- Performance of Russian Soup, a dark comedy based on classic Russian fiction directed by John Bolton, with Greg Ulfan, Joseph Sherman, Ernie Gruner and Phillip Carroll.
- Roger Haldane, local artist and writer, worked on drawings for his next book.
- From Heaven to Helsinki Memory, Place and Identity. David McCooney, critic and poet, and Maria Takolander, essayist and fiction writer from Deakin University, explored autobiographical writing across two cultures.
- Bright Like Blackman. Barry Dickens talked about the life of artist Charles Blackman.
- Hey Jude, Get a Life. Maureen McCarthy explored the dynamics of the later teenage years through her successful novel and tv series. Music by Mike Ferguson and Kate Gane.
- Rifling to Find the Treasures. Scot Gardner, author of a string of well received teenager novels, explained how he rifles through lives to find the treasures.
To view the above pdf file, you will need Adobe Reader. To download, please click here.